I made this set of Wh Question cards with a functional, grocery-store theme that I’m giving away in my Teachers Pay Teachers store! The free wh question cards are large and include visuals, making them perfect for both verbal and non-verbal students.
The visuals and low-distraction backgrounds are ideal for students on the autism spectrum or any young learner.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we could receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Each Free WH- Question Card includes:
- A written WH question
- A large picture related to the question to increase comprehension
- Three visual answer choices paired with written words
These cards utilize Picture Communication Symbols® (PCS/Boardmaker symbols – used with permission), which are familiar to many special education students, including students on the autism spectrum and/or who use AAC.
Personally, I think the toughest part of being an SLP is the paperwork. I recently heard about Double-Time Docs – it’s a way to cut down dramatically on your report-writing time while still generating detailed, high-quality evaluation reports. You can read more about it here.
Ideas for Differentiation:
• Cover the three answer choices as you read the question aloud to your student with the visual aid picture (large picture) visible. If your student is able, s/he may answer verbally or using his/her personal AAC device without choices.
• If not, uncover the three answer choices and read the options aloud as you point to each one.
• If this is too difficult, only uncover two or one choice to start (or offer a prompt such as a gesture or verbal prompt)
RELATED READ: Using Visuals to Teach WH Questions
How to Use on Easel on TpT
If you want to use the PDF, printable version of the cards virtually (or on a Smartboard), you can open the activity right on Teachers Pay Teachers in their new Easel program. In the program, you can edit PDFs by drawing on them, adding shapes, and adding text boxes.
I pre-made an Easel activity for this set of cards. You can just open the WH- Questions cards in Easel and have your student either drag the green circle to the answer or use the pen to circle the answer!
Boom Cards Version of Free Wh Question Cards
If you’d prefer a no-print, self-checking version of this activity, I have a BOOM Cards version as well! Please note that you do have to be connected to the internet to use BOOM Cards.
Looking for more Question Cards with Visuals? Check out these resources in my store (click on the picture for more info):